City Life / Vida Urbana seeks a part-time (32 hours per week) Grant Writer to raise funds and build solidarity. This is a key role within the development team and will report to the co- Executive Directors and work closely with the Director of Organizing and Director of Impact & Evaluation. This individual must have a strong commitment to serving the interests of low and moderate-income people and fighting racial, class, and gender-based oppression.
City Life/Vida Urbana (CLVU) is a 49-year-old multilingual community-based organization that organizes, supports, and develops the leadership of tenants and small homeowners facing eviction, rent increases, unhealthy conditions, foreclosure, or gentrification in Greater Boston. CLVU also plays an anchor role in our statewide and local housing justice movement.
Our grants budget accounts for 61% of our annual revenue. Our largest philanthropic partners are local hospitals and social justice philanthropic organizations. We cultivate a team approach in our organizing, administrative and fundraising work and shared responsibility in achieving campaign goals. We are in a moment of organizational growth requiring expanded resources and heading into our 50th Anniversary which we expect to provide major fundraising opportunities. Our FY22 Organizational Budget is $1.8 million.
The Grant Writer is primarily responsible for managing the grant proposal process from start to finish, including researching and identifying funding opportunities, gathering input from the executive team and staff, writing and submitting grant proposals, and submitting timely reports.
We’re looking for someone who:
● Committed to fighting for racial, social, and economic justice
● Able to tell a concise, compellingly written story
● Able to seek and synthesize information and communicate it in a succinct form ● Able to balance competing priorities while meeting deadlines
Preferred Capacities, Skills, & Experience:
- 3-5 years of professional or volunteer grant writing experience, preferably within social justice or base-building organizations
- Strong understanding of budget & program development
- Knowledge of grant writing techniques and sources of funding for non-profit organizations
- Strong analytical & research skills
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Proven track record of measuring and achieving revenue targets
- Strong understanding of data analytics, including tracking and evaluation
- Strategy & Prospecting
- Initiate ongoing communication with Co-Executive Directors, staff, and leaders to understand and analyze funding needs, gaps, and opportunities
- Research and help cultivate new relationships, funding opportunities, and partnerships
- Work with the co-Executive Directors and various partner organizations to develop strategic relationships with the philanthropic sector maintain and manage grants calendar and maintain master files on potential funders, current funders, and grant opportunities
- Lead the process for developing and submitting foundation proposals and grant reports by preparing and organizing materials for proposals, submitting/monitoring grant applications, and reporting on grant outcomes
- Develop well-researched, tailored, and persuasive proposals, letters of inquiry, letters of support, acknowledgment letters, including grant budgets and reports
- Maintain and manage grants calendar and master files on potential funders, current funders, and grant opportunities
- In coordination with the communications team, support the organization's overall efforts by working with our members to create personal vignettes of how City Life / Vida Urbana has impacted their lives and communities
- Working with the Director of Impact & Evaluation and the Administrative Director, ensure systems are in place to measure grant effectiveness
- Play a lead role in writing reports to foundation funders; support hospital grant reporting, if needed
- Assist the Development Team in developing systems and processes to support the organization’s overall fundraising, such as developing a case statement, major donor proposals, and member vignettes
- Manage the organization’s CRM (customer relationship management) system to ensure accurate and updated information for foundation contacts
- Work with the Finance Manager to ensure accurate accounting and invoicing for grant funding
Reports to: Co-Executive Directors
Salary & Benefits: Salary for this position is $48,800-$57,600 annually. Benefits include individual or family medical and dental insurance coverage at no cost to the employee; healthcare expense reimbursement; retirement plan with employer contribution; 2-4 weeks paid vacation per year and 12 paid holidays annually.
City Life/Vida Urbana is committed to hiring people represented by the diverse communities we serve. People of color, LGBTQ people are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Email cover letter and resume to: [email protected]
- Subject: Search/Development Director
Currently, our staff is working remotely; we are planning for a return to the office.