City Life/Vida Urbana (CLVU) seeks a full-time Bilingual Organizer (English/Haitian Kreyol, Cape Verdean Creole, or Portuguese) for our campaign to preserve tenancies and promote long term housing stability in Greater Boston and beyond. This organizer’s focus will be in Brockton and surrounding areas.
CLVU is a 50-year-old grassroots, multilingual housing justice organization that operates on a radical organizing model that links personal housing issues to systemic change. We seek an individual who strongly commits to serving the interests of low- and moderate-income people and fighting racial, class, and gender oppression. We cultivate a team approach in organizing work and a shared responsibility in achieving campaign goals.
CLVU uses a casework-organizing approach to building a movement in response to the housing displacement and affordability crisis. This involves engaging with people in response to their individual needs and supporting their empowerment through group support and collective action. The Organizer supports and guides people facing eviction to advocate for themselves and join with others in collective action to keep their and others’ housing and maintain their neighborhoods intact. The Organizer refers members to appropriate services, plans and organizes key meetings and actions, works with staff and volunteers and participates in training and group education events.
- Door-to-door outreach and presentations at events and meetings
- Intake new people through phone calls, meetings, or in-office
- Assess and follow individual cases, be an accessible resource and provide ongoing advice with the support of other staff and legal or human service resources
- Look for ways to pursue cases through collective action
- Assist in organizing public actions and protests
- Organize meetings, prepare outreach materials, and do follow-ups, including meetings in the office and at individual buildings.
- Attend and participate in regularly scheduled team meetings
- Meet with supervisor regularly
- Participate in data collection, case documentation, and program evaluation activities for grant preparation and reporting.
- Participate in coalition work, attend meetings, follow up on tasks, and report back to the rest of the staff.
- Participate in leadership training and political discussion groups
Work experience and skill requirements
- Bilingual (verbal and written) English and in either Haitian Kreyol, Cape Verdean Creole, or Portuguese required.
- Experience in community organizing, paid or unpaid
- Familiarity with human service agency services and legal resources
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to use the internet, Microsoft Suite; Google Suite; online meeting platforms such as Zoom or GoToMeeting; and familiarity with using databases, such as Quickbase.
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
Reports to: Statewide Lead Organizer
Salary & Benefits:
The salary for this position is $45,000 to $50,000 annually. This is a 32-hour-per-week position with full benefits.
Benefits include individual or family medical and dental insurance coverage at no cost to the employee; healthcare expense reimbursement; retirement plan with employer contribution after 9 months of consecutive service; 3 weeks paid vacation per year, sick leave, and 12 paid holidays annually.
City Life/Vida Urbana is committed to hiring people represented by the diverse communities we serve. People of color LGBTQ people are strongly encouraged to apply.
To Apply, send a resume and cover letter to:
- Subject: Bilingual Organizer (Brockton)