CLVU is seeking a clever bilingual housing justice organizer to support our tenant organizing casework. This full-time position will deepen our community organizing through collective bargaining tactics, collective casework, and collective action.
Full-time position title: Bilingual Organizer
Reports to: Director of Organizing
City Life/Vida Urbana (CLVU) seeks a full-time Bilingual Organizer (Spanish/English) for our campaign to preserve tenancies and promote long term housing stability in Boston neighborhoods and beyond. This organizer’s focus will be Jamaica Plain and Roxbury.
CLVU is a 49-year-old grassroots, multilingual housing justice organization that operates on a radical model of organizing which links personal housing issues to systemic change. We are seeking an individual who has a strong commitment to serving the interests of low- and moderate-income people and fighting racial, class and gender oppression. We cultivate a team approach in our organizing work and a shared responsibility in achieving campaign goals.
CLVU uses a casework-organizing approach to building a movement in response to the housing displacement and affordability crisis. This involves engaging with people in response to their individual needs and supporting their empowerment through group support and collective action. The Organizer supports and guides people facing eviction to advocate for themselves and join with others in collective action to keep their and others’ housing and maintain their neighborhoods intact. The Organizer refers members to appropriate services, plans and organizes key meetings and actions, works with staff and volunteers, and participates in training and group education events.
- Door-to-door outreach and presentation at events and meetings.
- Intake new people through phone calls, meetings, or in-person at the office.
- Assess and follow individual cases, being an accessible resource and providing ongoing advice with the support of other staff and/or legal support and other human service resources as appropriate.
- Look for ways to pursue cases through collective action. Assist in organizing public actions and protests of all kinds.
- Organize meetings. Scheduling, preparing outreach materials flyers and doing follow up, including both meetings in the office and at individual buildings as required.
- Attend and participate in regularly scheduled team meetings.
- Meet with supervisor on a regular basis
- Participate in data collection; case documentation; and program evaluation activities for grant preparation and reporting.
- Participate in larger coalition work, attending meetings, following up on tasks, and reporting back to the rest of the staff.
- Participate in leadership training, political discussion groups
Work experience and skill requirements:
- Bilingual in Spanish required.
- Experience in community organizing, paid or unpaid.
- Familiarity with human service agency services and legal resources
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to use the internet, Microsoft Suite; Google Suite; online meeting platforms such as Zoom or GoToMeeting; and familiarity with using databases.
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
Salary & Benefits:
Salary for this position is approximately $52,000-$56,000 annually. Benefits include individual or family medical and dental insurance coverage at no cost to the employee; healthcare expense reimbursement; retirement plan with employer contribution; 2-4 weeks paid vacation per year and 12 paid holidays annually.
City Life/Vida Urbana is committed to hiring people represented by the diverse communities we serve. People of color, LGBTQ people are strongly encouraged to apply.
TO APPLY: Send or email a cover letter and resume to [email protected], Subjet: Search/Bilingual Organizer.
Currently our staff is working remotely; we are planning for a return to the office.